Select Page

How to Apply

As of 5:00 p.m. CDT on Tuesday, August 15, 2023, the Arkansas Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) stopped accepting applications for drinking water and wastewater assistance.

We will continue to review and process applications submitted on or prior to August 15th until all funds are exhausted.

If you require assistance with your water and/or sewer bill we encourage you to apply now.

If you have already applied, we encourage you to check your application status in the application portal and promptly respond to requests for additional information we need to determine your eligibility. Failure to provide the required documents or information in a timely manner will delay the processing of your application and may result in your household not receiving benefits.

Thank you,
The Arkansas Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program

Am I Eligible?

You may be eligible for assistance if you meet the following criteria:


1. Require assistance to reduce water and/or wastewater costs on a monthly basis,


2. Live in Arkansas,


3. Are a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien, and


4. Have income at or below income limits shown in the chart below, or


5. Receive one or more of the following: Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), or Supplemental Security Income (SSI).

Income Eligibility Chart

Household Size Maximum Monthly Countable Income (MCI)
1 $1,859.00
2 $2,430.00
3 $3,002.00
4 $3,574.00
5 $4,146.00
6 $4,718.00
7 $5,015.00
8 $5,583.00
9 $6,150.00
10 $6,717.00
11 $7,285.00
12 $7,853.00
13 $8,420.00
14 $8,988.00
15 $9,555.00
16 $10,123.00
17 $10, 690.00
18 $11,258.00
19 $11,825.00
20 $12,393.00
Add $560 for each additional household family member

About the Application Process

  • An incomplete application will delay benefits. Please be sure to include all required documentation. The most frequently forgotten documents include:
    • Copies of benefit award letters for households that receive benefits from LIHEAP, SNAP, SSI, or TANF;
    • Verification of Social Security Numbers for all household members age 18 or older;
    • A current water utility bill that shows a breakdown of charges; and
    • Income verification for adult household members age 18 or older.
  • After you submit your application, you will receive a Case ID; please use that Case ID when corresponding with LIHWAP about your benefit or application.
  • You will receive communication via email and/or text. Please be sure to check for messages from your case manager. You may need to check your spam folder. Look for emails from
  • Your application will be assigned to a case manager. Check your application portal for the name and contact information of your case manager. If you have questions about your application, please contact your case manager, not the toll-free number.

Documents Required

Valid Identification

Examples include driver’s license, State ID, Military ID, Tribal ID, passport; health insurance card or employment ID; or birth certificate, if under age one (1).

Verification of Social Security Number

Applicants must upload a copy of their Social Security Card and provide the Social Security Numbers (SSN) for all household members. Applicants who do not have a Social Security Card may provide another document, such as:

  • Proof of Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN);
  • Proof of legal immigrant status; acceptable documents include:
    • Permanent visa;
    • Refugee registration cards;
  • INS ID card;
  • Alien registration cards/re‐entry permits;
  • Certain INS forms

    For household members younger than one year at the time of application who do not have SSNs, the applicant must provide one of the following:

    • Birth certificate; or
    • Clinic, doctor, or hospital records.
    Current or past due water/wastewater bill
    Disconnect notice (if applicable)
    Lease Agreement (if water/wastewater statement is included in rent)
    Income Documents

    Categorically Eligible

    If your household is a current recipient of any of the following programs, you will need to upload the determination/award letter for the program(s) that apply to your household. Applicants will also be asked for their household income, size, and other characteristics for reporting purposes only; documentation not required.

    • LIHEAP
    • SSI
    • SNAP
    • TANF benefits

    Income Eligible

    If your household is NOT a current recipient of any of the programs above, you will need to provide supporting documentation to verify your income. Documents may include:

    • W2s
    • Check stubs from your employer
    • Current unemployment benefits letter including gross benefit amount
    • Current letter from your employer verifying gross wages
    • Current pension/retirement benefit letter
    • Current annuity payment letter
    • Any current 1099
    • Most recent 1040 for self-employed individuals

    Before you proceed...

    The following items will be helpful to have on hand to complete your application:

    • Valid Identification for Application (and spouse/co-borrower, if applicable)
    • Federal Tax Return for Applicant for Year of Hardship (and spouse/co-borrower, if applicable)
    • Proof of Homeownership
    • Mortgage/Utility/Internet Statements Displaying Delinquency 


    Understood. Take me to the application.


    If you would like more information regarding documents needed to apply, please review the HAF Document Checklist.

    If you are looking to apply for Utility Payment Assistance but have not yet applied for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), please visit the Arkansas Energy and Environmental Quality website for program information and instructions on how to apply. This is a requirement to pre-qualify for Utility Payment Assistance under HAF.